Shop made Machinery

Lathe Driven Bench Sander

 

 

As space is at a premium in my shop I built this low cost Bench Sander as a lathe attachment.

Its constructed from 6mm Ply and 40mm Square stock from the off cut pile.

I incorporated a mitre guide for accurate sanding and dust extraction.

The sanding disc is two sheets of Ply, cut square to 22cm. A 10mm dowel was placed in the centre of one sheet to ensure the lathe face plate remounts accurately and fits in the headstock of the lathe when mounted.

9 x M6 bolts were drilled through to mount the faceplate and counter sunk before gluing and dowelling the second sheet , the combined sheets were then trimmed to the size of the self adhesive sanding sheets on the lathe. The off cut became the bottom part of the dust extractor.

The box is made from 40mm square stock spaced to create the dust extraction system, then 6mm  ply is used for the top, bottom and sides.

To create an accurate mounting for the  lathe I cut some 40mm stock with 45 deg angles which fits in the lathe bed. Some scrap pine, M8 threaded bar off-cut and a wing nut were used to create the clamp.

Total cost:
6mm Ply – £ 0.80
Self Adhesive Sanding sheets – £6.00
Everything else was surplus from other projects.

Router Table Work Bench

I needed a router table in my workshop and decided the best way to achieve this was to build one into my work bench.

I have made one previously and I wanted to incorporate the lessons I learned from that into this one.

I need to achieve the following functions with this one:

Accurate router bit height adjustment.
Easy access to change router bits
All controls need to be accessed easily
It needed to reduce the noise of the router.
It needed to be inexpensive to make
It needed to be relatively simple to make (no complex joints or machining)

So after a bit of research I came up with this design and drew it up on Sketchup to see how it would work.

The hardest part of the design is creating a power transfer system to translate horizontal movement into vertical movement.

To achieve this I made a horizontal sliding frame with a 45 deg channel. This was mated to vertical sliding frame and a bearing transferred the horizontal movement into vertical movement.

The frames have to be strong enough to support the router solidly in use and transfer power from one plane to another.

The initial design called for two frames of similar construction, however I modified it as I went and made the vertical slide out of two of the off set routing bars that came with the router.

I decided to bolt the frames and slides together to allow disassembly during the build and for future servicing.

Simple skateboard bearings were used for the power transfer and work very smoothly.

The router cradle was made in two parts. Both parts were single pieces of timber with the router body holes cut out of them then sawn in two to create the clamp part of the […]